Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Cub Game Pre-Test

We are leaving tomorrow for our first little "mini-vacation" of the summer. Ostensibly, we are making the trip so that we can attend my sister Kelsey's high school graduation party, but the real reason is the Cub game we are going to on Thursday. Kelsey's coming with us, so it's OK...

Anyway, the last two years, I have evaluated the games we have attended using the criteria below. Last year, I even made a predicted rating and then did an actual rating after the game. Since I haven't blogged in a while, I figured I would do the same thing here. Again, these are the same questions I ask every year, just to be fair, and are ranked on a scale of 1-10.

1. Are the Cubs playing for anything or in a race of some kind?
As of this post, the Cubs have the best record in Major League Baseball, so they are officially in the playoff hunt. As they haven't been this good this late in the season in 100 years, I would say this scores a 10.

2. How is the weather for the game?
It's supposed to be in the 80's and sunny at game time. This may be a hair warmer than we prefer, but doable. Let's say this gets a 7.

3. Who are they playing?
They are playing the Atlanta Braves. We knock off one point for being out of division, but otherwise, this is a very good game to see. The Braves are pretty good, definitely in playoff contention, and are generally a fun team to watch play. So, I'd give this an 8.

4. Who am I attending with?
This one may deserve extra credit. Scheduled to appear: Me, Nancy, Sophie, my Mom, Allen, Chris, Kelsey, and Steven. This is the first time that I have gone to a game with my family since my dad died, so this is a pretty big deal for me. Plus, it is Sophie's first (of many) times to Wrigley, and it is Kelsey's first time as well. Now, Kelsey is bringing her boyfriend, so I may need to take away a point for that... So, let's say this gets an 11.

5. Quality of Hot Dogs & Peanuts.
Normally, I would give this a pre-score of 7 and go from there. Last year's were very good, but 2 years ago they were bad. But... this game is supposedly "1948 Day," and everything, including concessions prices, are to be rolled back to 1948 levels, at least for part of the day. If that is true, this could be a VERY good day. So, let's say 8, for now.

6. Number and Quality of Exciting Plays.
It's hard to say in advance, but I would think this game should have some action to it. Let's say 7 for now.

7. Who is singing "Take me Out to the Ballgame?"
This is a big wild-card. We're going 5 for now.

8. Did the Cubs win?
Well, it's a home game, so there's a pretty good chance. Let's assume yes and give this a 10.

That is a score of 63, but there is plenty of room for growth here. I may also need to find a way to award bonus points for 1948 Day. Both teams are wearing their throwback uniforms, and the atmosphere there should be pretty cool.

Go Cubs Go!

1 comment:

db said...

Looks like the Cubs won in a good game yesterday...curious to see what your rating will be...I know you must have had a good time. Hope the hot dogs were cheap enough for you!