Tuesday, January 15, 2008

For Aaron

I am certain that this is not what you were hoping for in your comment below but since you miss us let me provide a translation (significantly abbr.) of what's been occupying my time lately and I'll let Dan speak for himself.

"By the craft of the qurqurru-craftsman this statue without its mouth opened cannot smell incense, cannot eat food, nor drink water. Asalluhi saw this and repeated it to his father Enki, 'My Father, this statue without its mouth opened cannot smell incense, cannot eat food, cannot drink water. Show me what to do.' Enki replied, 'Bring the statue out to the "House of Washing" before Shamash.'" (Mesopotamian mis pi Ritual; ST 200 Incantation)

The rest of the ritual indicates that the statue was "washed" or "purified" thereby quickening it and subsequently deifying it. The prohibitions by the biblical prophets were right on, no?

Oh, and here's the other small item that's been keeping me busy.

2 comments:

the Powells said...

now, those are some busy women...



cute! i kind of miss you too. carrie

Unknown said...

Crafty guy, that Enki.

(I made a Sumerian pun.)

(I know some stuff.)