Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Couscous & Voting

We had couscous as part of dinner last night. Both couses ended up on the floor. The floor, you see, is where Sophie puts food she does not want. She doesn't throw it, it's not done in anger. She simply and matter of factly drops it on the floor and asks for something else. Eventually, we can usually trick her into eating some, but it involves a lot of work. Who knows how long we'll be able to do that, either (she's no dummy)?

Anyway, today is both Super Tuesday and Mardi Gras. That seems like a strange convergence of events to me. Does that make it Super Fat Tuesday? Morbidly Obese Tuesday? Is it OK to ask the sweet old lady at the polling station for beads?

Random election story (many of you have heard it before): The first time I went to vote, it was at the fire station on Bittersweet Rd. I was pretty excited to vote in my first election (which I think was mid-term). Anyway, the lady greeted me and asked my name. "Dan Erickson," says I. "What's your street name?" asks the lady. As this question immediately followed what my legal name is, I figured maybe they were asking for some sort of nickname, or "street name." I said, "I don't really have a 'street name,' so let's go with 'Snake.'" "What's your address, Snake?" replied the lady, not missing a beat. That's when it hit me: I'm an idiot. Frankly, I'm surprised they even let me vote after that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You actually said "Snake"? That's hilarious.

Dan said...

Yep. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

GREAT story. I laughed out loud. Really. I don't think I'd be able to come up with a "street name" on the spot like that. Maybe a Gladiator name. I've given that some thought. But not a street name.

But hey, Snake has a much better ring than something like "North Oakland"

Connie said...

I have heard that story before but it makes me laugh every time. It's a classic.

As for how much longer you can trick Sophie, I predict about another day and a half.

Love ya, Mother Snake