Monday, March 16, 2009

"The River Why" Movie

They are making a movie based on one of my favorite books, The River Why, by my favorite author, David James Duncan. I have the following questions/thoughts...

1. How is it I only found out about this today???????
2. When is it coming out? Neither imdb.com nor the official site have a release date listed.
3. I understand this is a "low budget movie," but I sure hope this gets a theatrical release (and more importantly, actually plays here).
4. They have a surprisingly good cast put together.
5a. I am terrified of this movie. I can't imagine translating this book into a usable screenplay. I'm sure it will be shot quite beautifully, but you can't trade ideas for grandeur. With that said...
5b. I will be the first person in line to see this movie.
6. If a filmmaker wanted a real challenge, he would make The Brothers K. Although, that would be better suited to a mini-series, and that thought makes me want to wretch.

1 comment:

adipose said...

Dan/Nancy,

David James Duncan actually sued the film makers and ultimately settled out of court. You can read the ins and outs of the whole affair here.

http://tiny.cc/zxYus

Duncan retains the rights to make his own film in the future.